January 9, 2008

DEAR DR. MURAKAMI


This is Dr M.

He is the doctor responsible for finally putting a name to the nemesis that was systematically destroying my body, mind and life.
He’s an amazing doctor and an extraordinary person.
I hold him with the highest regard. I don’t just consider him my doctor... I am honored to call him my friend.

For many, many years Dr M stood alone in the medical community waging a one man war against both Lyme Disease and the ignorance of the medical community towards it. He has saved countless lives because he bucked the system and chose to do what is right as opposed to what is convenient.

Dr M has endured and fought against the ignorance of the system for many, many years. The incredible stress of being relentlessly harassed by the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons, finally took its toll on our dear doctor and health issues forced him into "early" retirement. And well, you know, he is 76, so I suppose he's certainly 'allowed' to retire.

Unfortunately, his retirement means that we have lost the only doctor in Canada that was willing and skilled enough to clinically diagnose LD...and then brave enough to buck the system and prescribe individualized treatment.

He's a maverick. He's a genius. He's a skilled physician. His patients were all lucky to have him. And we acknowleged it and knew it.


And Health Canada and the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons were lucky to have him. Too bad they won't acknowledge that or admit it.

But I believe that day will come.

But until that day comes those of us with LD will be forced to look outside of Canada to find a doctor who can properly treat our disease.

True to his character, Dr M has not let retirement stop him in his determination to spread awareness and educate physicians about LD. And even though he is retired and I am no longer his patient, he still takes the time to check on me...in my heart, i will always be his patient and he will always be my doctor.

Dear Dr. Murakami

On behalf of my family and me, we wanted to offer a humble expression of our gratitude for all that you have done. Our lives have been forever changed because of your passionate dedication in fighting Lyme disease.

When we think of what you mean to us, these are just a few of the words that come to mind:

PASSION PURPOSE SERVICE SACRIFICE INTEGRITY GENEROSITY COMPASSION HOPE

Your unwavering belief in my fight has given me hope. Your care and compassion has restored my sense of self and my dignity; and your tireless efforts in helping me regain my life have meant that my husband is getting his wife back and my children are getting their mom back. At my sickest, I was so wracked with pain that I was unable to even endure the tender embrace of my children. But because of your care, I am able to once again joyfully hold them in my arms. There is no gift more precious than that.

Thank you…

You have left an indelible imprint on our lives and you will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Sincerely,

The Goertzen Family

1 comment:

chris powell said...

Absolutely beautiful, heartfelt thoughts, Shannon. Dr M is also the person we sought out back in May 2008 after I saw the clip about the charter to SFO. His advice was 100% accurate. "Leave town', he told us...and he apologized for the ignorance of doctors. I hold him in the highest regard. He is a true doctor and a beautiful human being.
Thanks for posting Shannon.