August 26, 2008

DR ANONYMOUS


One of DR H's pre-requisites for out of country patients is that they have a local doctor who will work in tandem with him to monitor the treatment process and provide hands on care. Given the hostile political climate regarding the diagnosis and treatment of LD, finding such a doctor felt like an impossibility. Many doctors are loathe to take on a chronically ill patient that can't be 'quickly' fixed. Add to that, a patient who has been dx'd with a controversial disease that is unrecognized in one's country of origin and they pretty much turn tail and run. At least, that has been our experience.

The week before we left for California, we finally found a GP who was willing to take on my case. It was a huge answer to prayer. In fact, I believe it was a miracle. Doctors who treat LD in Canada often come under huge scrutiny by the body that regulates the licensing of doctors. We've been bluntly told by many doctors we've seen that they were "not willing to get involved in my case, because doctors who treat LD in Canada risk losing their medical license".

For this reason, it is necessary to protect the identity of my new GP. So we call him DR ANONYMOUS. DR A for short.

We are incredibly blessed to have DR A in our corner. He acknowledges that my condition is caused by LD and is quietly working alongside of DR H, following his recommendations and prescribing the treatment that I need.

DR A is a God-send.
In the short time that I have been his patient, I have needed him. A lot.

In the past 2 months, I have required urgent and critical care. I have been carried into his office. I have been wheeled into his office. I have needed x-rays, ultrasounds, and lab work. I have required emergency care. I have required a plethora of prescriptions. I have needed his calm reassurances when I was sure that I would die. Poor DR A, has been given a frightful crash course on LD.

Thank you God for DR A.
He is caring, compassionate and unwaveringly supportive.
He is an ally in my fight.

No comments: